Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What I Think About--Religion as a Crutch

I adore my mother-in-law, Ginny.  There have been very definite times in my life where she has been the mom I needed at the moment I've needed her.  She'll never take the place of my mom but she has been there.

A few years before I met my husband, Ginny had a stroke that left her unable to use her left leg.  Flex your leg and point your toes to the sky right now.  Yep, that's what it is like for her--day in and day out.  Though this is a huge challenge for her, Ginny is able to walk with a cane.  Her "crutch" if you will, is a daily reminder that a part of her is physically unwell.

A Thanksgiving photo of Ginny, Nana, and yours truly.  FYI--cameras add ten pounds and three people were taking photos so I'm actually a size 0 (not that you can tell in this photo)!


Why did I tell you this?  I have a point.

In the world of academia I've been confronted with people who believe me weak or feeble minded because I believe in God.  To them, my faith is a crutch. 

The idea of religion as a crutch is that people use religion to reassure themselves that their difficult circumstances are worth what will be received in the afterlife (this is the "opiate of the masses" idea).

The other argument is that people do not want to think for themselves and religion gives them simple philosophy, morality, and instructions for daily life.

Both of these arguments have a point.  People do lead difficult lives.  People do lean on hope that something better is coming. I believe in heaven and an afterlife but for arguments sake, let's say I'm wrong (and the real beauty is that you can never prove me wrong or prove yourself right.  As Yan Martel wrote in The Life of Pi, "And so it goes with God.").

If I am wrong and all this afterlife stuff is merely self-delusional, what's the problem with that?  If people need to use "fantasy" to help get through tough circumstances, who am I to rob them of that need?  It would sort of be like telling Ginny, "Hey, I know it's hard to walk but that's life.  Stumble along and get used to it!"  Pretty harsh.

If you think religion is a delusional crutch--what's it to you?  Let people be delusional.

The other argument I think stems from the fact that religion can be used to control. Sometimes religion is used as a cage to institute a hierarchy and I'm willing to admit that I've seen religions, including my own, do this. 

Though that may be the case, it is also equally true that religions have freed people abused by other systemic power structures that are non-religiously based--like socio-economic status, race, gender, nationality, etc.  (FYI--power-based abuse happens in countries with an required absence of faith so blaming religion as the only culprit is a gross over-simplification).  

Think of the multitude of ways religious people have reached out to the poor, the dying, the parentless ... Clearly those laid out rules for moral living aren't all bad.  

Finally, I don't think religious/spiritual people are all non-thinking idiots.

I firmly believe that a relationship with a loving God pushes people into life outside the norm.  It pushes people: to question mindless obedience and imperfect authority, to challenge hegemonic powers, to defend the oppressed, to fight injustice even if it is done in the name of one's very own religion, or nation. It causes people to fight against the powers of greed, power, and lies, no matter what guise they take (and trust me, they often take on the guise of "The American Dream).

Religion can free others and ourselves.

Whether you like it or not, religion can promote positive change.  For example, faith encourages persistence even when the future doesn't look bright. Faith can teach humility, patience, and gratitude (just ask Ginny about this one). Faith can inspire us to reach out and care for the hungry, the lonely, the sick, and suffering.

When people confront me about my "spritiual" crutch, I often want to tell them about Ginny.

I'd want to know if they think she is a bumbling idiot for using the crutch to walk.

If they said no, I want to know if they think she is weak for using her crutch.

If they said no again I'd love to explain all the ways crutches can be beneficial to people.

I'd love to point out that it takes incredible humility and trust to use a crutch regardless of what those around you think or say.

Okay what I'd **really** love is to show people that crutches take many forms. Ginny has a cane (well, she is a believer so she has a physical and spiritual crutch); my crutch is spiritual.  What these in your face "religion is a crutch" people need to know is that their pride in science and even their own intellects is their crutch.

And they probably shouldn't belittle my crutch while leaning on their own.

And that's what I think about religion as a crutch.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent post Reagan! You may know I'm not a religious person, but I do not have issues with people who have that particular 'crutch', if you will. I believe everyone needs something and to each their own. I only have issues when someone pushes their beliefs on me, or judges me because I am not religious. Each religion and belief system has their extremists. Live and let live as far as I'm concerned! Love the analogy and story, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I think there's a couple things that affects why some people think this way. For one, we are part of such an individualistic independent society, the idea of relying on anything other than yourself appears weak to a lot of people, though I've never met a person in my life who is able to hold it together by themselves (we all want to talk with someone when we need something, right?).

    Another factor that I think contributes is the false perception fed by the 'opiates of the masses' theory, and which unfortunately is perpetuated by people who profess Christianity (not naming names, but somebody whose name starts with a 'J' and ends in 'oel Osteen'). The false perception is this: God wants you to be happy, succesful, and rich beyond your wildest dreams, so believe in Him! Unfortunately, this is insulting to people who are suffering (and millions are all the time at any given moment) and it's insulting to who God is. We ignore the idea that suffering, however much unpleasant and not a part of God's original plan, produces a depth of character and a more profound understanding of who God is better than most means on this Earth. It forces believers to seek their comfort in Him, and Him alone, and nothing else. That's beautiful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tina--I agree with you! I don't like anything shoved down my throat--I also don't like people assuming I'm a simpleton because I have faith.

    @Whitney-I posted my little anti-health and wealth sermon last week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I were to use religion as a crutch, I think I would choose one that didn't require as much time/money/commitment as mine. I think there are people that use it as a crutch, such as those who pick and choose which precepts to believe in i.e. they believe in the power of the atonement but they don't believe in the law of sexual purity. I have many days I wish I could believe in religion to the extent that it is an opiate and not a commitment, but I can't because then I would be rejecting Christ's teachings as well as going against what I know to be true.

    I love your point about people relying on their intellect as a crutch. Some of the most intelligent people I know are people of great faith. They know enough to know that they don't know everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, Reagan...just what I needed. Thank you so much for sharing.
    I love how you took a line that we Christians hear a lot and giving a great "come back" /analogy.

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)