Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What I Think About--This Song



I've listened to this song off and on for over a year now and for some reason it just resonates with me.

Maybe it's because I truly desire to make a difference and fear I'm not.

Maybe it's because my mom is dying and I am angry at the emptiness I feel when I think of her being gone and I'm ashamed at being angry and even ashamed to admit I feel empty.

Maybe it's because there is someone I need to forgive who I don't want to forgive making me a prisoner to unforgiveness.

Maybe it's because this song is a profound reminder of the redeeming love I feel.

Maybe.

What I think is that I am in awe of lyrics and melodies that really bring about these thoughts and feelings in me.  Music has such a profound ability to affect people.

What song does it for you?

P.S.  Love the song--the video?  Not so much.  I'm sure there is some deep message in the space theme that I'm totally missing.  If you get it, please share!

I dreamed I was missing
You were so scared
But no one would listen
Cause no one else cared

After my dreaming
I woke with this fear
What am I leaving
When I'm done here

So if you're asking me
I want you to know

[Chorus]
When my time comes
Forget the wrong that I've done
Help me leave behind some
Reasons to be missed

And don't resent me
And when you're feeling empty
Keep me in your memory

Leave out all the rest
Leave out all the rest
[End Chorus]

Don't be afraid
I've taken my beating
I've shed but I made

I'm strong on the surface
Not all the way through
I've never been perfect
But neither have you

So if you're asking me
I want you to know

[Chorus]
When my time comes
Forget the wrong that I've done
Help me leave behind some
Reasons to be missed

Don't resent me
And when you're feeling empty
Keep me in your memory

Leave out all the rest
Leave out all the rest
[End Chorus]

Forgetting
All the hurt inside
You've learned to hide so well

Pretending
Someone else can come and save me from myself
I can't be who you are

[Chorus]
When my time comes
Forget the wrong that I've done
Help me leave behind some
Reasons to be missed

Don't resent me
And when you're feeling empty
Keep me in your memory

Leave out all the rest
Leave out all the rest

Forgetting
All the hurt inside
You've learned to hide so well

Pretending
Someone else can come and save me from myself
I can't be who you are
I can't be who you are

7 comments:

  1. I'm a country girl, so I never heard this song before, but those are some really thought-provoking lyrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally LOVE this song! There are so many great songs that have such thought provoking lyrics and can sometimes say exactly what you are feeling. It's wonderful how music can do that.
    P.S. I'm sorry about your mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost my Aunt (my second mother) in June. She lost her 10 month battle against cancer and that damn cancer won. It was a difficult journey to be on and I miss her like crazy. However, I wouldn't have missed the time with her and know this continuation of missing her is part of the grieving process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there...came by from The Things I Can't Say Wednesday meme...I'm your newest follower.

    I love that song...such deep lyrics that have the power to touch you within. I think music is a great way to tell others how you feel.

    My very best wishes to you and yours. Take it one step at a time.

    Marie
    The Things We Find Inside

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Shell--I can't relate because I'm NOT a country girl (but I'm from WYO... hmmm...) but I know there are a lot of great country heart-string tuggin' songs.

    @Tylaine--Thanks and thanks for stopping by!

    @Renegades--Solidarity

    @Marie--Thanks for stopping by and following. I'm heading to your page now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I hope you can spend a ton of time with her & make each day special. I will say a prayer for you tonight. God is the ulitmate physician & He will take care of your mom no matter the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that song is awesome! I'm a HUGE Linkin Park fan!!! I've yet to hear one of their songs that I don't like! I'm really sorry about your mom! I'll keep you in my prayers! As for music, I find it so therapeutic that I considered music therapy as a career. I think that songs touch us in different ways, even if there isn't a "cosmic" meaning embedded in them. I think that we have to use whatever we can to deal with things and music is an excellent way to do that! :)

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)