Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What I Think About--Tennis Shoes

Wednesdays are my most popular days.  Wednesdays are my "free therapy" days where I just pour out what's on my heart and mind.  I'm always humbled by the response I get for just saying what I think--even if it doesn't make any sense a difference.

I just want to take a minute to say thank you.  Thank you for reading my thoughts. Thanks for agreeing with them. Thanks for disagreeing with them.  I know this blog can be all over the map but that's kinda what it's all about.  It's about finding balance between everything I love that makes me the mom, wife, and woman that I am.  You're the best for sticking with me!

Lately my "What I Think About Wednesdays" have been pretty intense.  I mean, I've covered everything from capital punishment and relationships to not being a helicopter mom and our role in world humanitarian efforts.

This week let me share with you a little fashion based pet-peeve.

Tennis shoes.

I have a pair of lavender and white Asics GEL tennis shoes.  I wear them when I do P90X. I wear them when I run.  I DO NOT wear them to the grocery store, on dates, to church, or on girl's night out.

Ladies,  ladies, ladies, tennis shoes are not a fashion statement unless you are going on an athletic outing. (Don't confuse gym-type tennis shoes with uber trendy sneakers.)  I know they are comfy and I'm all for wearing them if you're going to be on your feet all day long at an amusement park or zoo. But if your darling husband is taking you out on the town, ditch the tennis shoes.  

Shoes can make or break an outfit.

I submit to you Exhibit #1.  A super cute outfit but the shoes make it feel incomplete--like the wearer stopped short.

Exhibit #2--See how much more "pulled together" the outfit looks when shoes aren't an afterthought?

Most gals I know won't wear cute shoes because they aren't comfortable.  

It's time for some MYTH BUSTING!

Repeat after me: Cute AND comfortable shoes do exist.

Brands I love when I want something built for comfort and speed: Born, Keen, Chaco, and Dansko.  

Strappy, comfy, AND stylish

Comfort comes in heels and wedges, too.


These shoes are practical enough to chase kids in (all day long) but cute enough to make you look like a hot and trendy mom woman!

What I think is you need to get out of your tennis shoe rut.  

Remember this should be rule of thumb:
If you aren't going to an athletic event, working out, or going to be on your feet--literally--all day long, leave your tennis shoes at home.

12 comments:

  1. This is seriously the most important thing I might have learned in a long time. I think all the ladies out there should take note.

    Does this mean I shouldn't wear my tennis shoes with my cut off jean shorts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heeheehee! I agree!

    I have some purple & white Asics (that are probably my most expensive shoe, grrr) but they are so ugly! They seem so big & bulky. At the gym, I feel great. Otherwise, I feel silly in them. Although I may be guilty of wearing them to the grocery store a few times. Hahaha!

    This weekend we were in Denver. I had a pair of sandals to wear all weekend...they ended up getting really wet & we were walking to the restaurant & my running shoes were all I had brought besides my wet sandals. So I slapped on some cute jeans, a plain fitted tee, & just felt goofy wearing running shoes with them. They looked bulky & out of place. Note to self, sticking a small pair of flops in my bag for overnight trips is smart --its worth the tiny bit of room they will take up. :)

    I love all the outfits you come up with! Will you be my personal shopper? haha! I still need to get over to Cheyenne (kid-free) & go to Platos Closet. Seriously...I have about three or four outfits that I just keep rotating. Its getting old. (although thats more than I need so I should stop complaining!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all of us rockin' the Asics! I have the same gel ones in white with purple.. we're so the same. ;)

    I could not agree more!! Tennis shoes are for walking dogs, chasing kids, and exercising.. not for going out ANYWHERE. (well, unless you happen to need to hit the grocery store after a day at the park.. then it's excusable.)

    I LOVE Born shoes! They are so comfortable! I'm also on the lookout for some super cute Sperries that one of my friends had on over the 4th.. very casual, and she says they're like wearing sneakers! Yet, oh so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will take one of everything. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ian--This rule applies to men too! Flip flops or boat shoes with cut offs are hot!

    @Shelley--Name the day and I'll be there (hopefully) kid free!

    @Mandy--Oh, I'll be on the lookout for Sperries!

    @Sarah--Just hand over the debit card ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm guilty of wearing tennis shoes "whenever"...I am also guilty of dressing in nothing more exciting than jeans and some old t-shirt. I feel like I have a really hard time finding clothes that are cute, but not too trendy AND age-appropriate, but not "old lady-ish". And yes, I am also one of those women (who we always see on What Not to Wear) who complains about the clothes and shoes that Stacy and Clinton pick out because they don't look comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny--So funny you wrote that--I can't remember seeing you in tennis shoes. I remember your trendy little ballet-flat/sneakers but no tennis shoes. You're doing good in my humble opinion (*sigh* which means you won't be getting a What Not to Wear vote from this gal!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have really missed reading your blogs. I have always been this way with sneakers, even in middle school. I remember friends always getting so excited about their new pair of tennis and I just didn't 'get' it.

    So, I totally agree with you(like always!) Ditch the tennis shoes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We probably have the same pair of tennis shoes. :)

    I don't wear them anywhere other than the gym or where I'm running around, but I don't wear cute shoes. I wear flip flops. *blushes*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to be the same way. I don't think I ever paired jeans and tennies not even once until I was over 30. I used to have a ton of shoes. But I recently started wearing them because I am constantly on the go with my kids and you know what? I LOVE them! I do not where them every day or even once a week, but when I do, I am in love and I make no apologies for being out of fashion. It's not like the 4 kids and the snot on my collar are fashion statements anyway! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crazymom--at least it isn't everyday :) Wait, snot isn't a fashion statement?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ya know, some people's priorities are different. They wear the tennis shoes all the time 'cause they'd rather spend their money on something other than several pairs of shoes. Also, just because you find those shoes comfortable doesn't mean they will be for someone else. I have very high arches and most shoes aren't very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)