Thursday, June 24, 2010

Things I love--Kick A$$ Workout Music

I'm kind of a music snob.  I'll never have Beiber Fever.  I've never heard a Jonas Brother song.  Lady Gaga... who?

Don't get me wrong, I love bands that have music labels just not "those" type of bands.

I really love Everything Absent or Distorted, Neutral Milk Hotel, Broken Social Scene, Guided by Voices, and the "The" bands (The Hives, The Kooks, The Whigs ...).

Sadly my husband is a sucker for Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus.  I love him anyway.

Where was I going with this?

Oh ya, workout jams.

My favorite time to listen to music is when I'm working out.  But I'm funny about my workout music.  It has to pretty heavy sounding but mostly punk and must have fun, singable lyrics (because if you ever saw me work out you'd think I was a one-woman band putting in the performance of a lifetime).

Last week I made a new workout playlist.  The songs have been around a while but the list is new to me.  

My new workout playlist includes:

Dirty Little Secret--All-American Rejects
Teenagers--My Chemical Romance
Girlfriend--Avril Lavigne (judge me all you want for that one)
Gives you Hell--All-American Rejects
Mess of Me--Switchfoot
Beat It--Fall Out Boy (sorry, I'm really NOT a MJ fan)
Fire it Up--Thousand Foot Krutch
Geeks Get the Girls--American Hi-Fi
Thanks for the Memories--Fall Out Boy
Famous Last Words--My Chemical Romance
The Fight Song--Sanctus Real
Supermassive Black Hole--Muse
Flavor of the Week--American HiFi
Hate to Say I Told You So--The Hives
Are You Gonna Be My Girl--JET
Mother Mary--Foxboro Hottubs
Uprising--Muse
Smells Like Teen Spirit--Nirvana
Fight For Your Right To Party--Beastie Boys
Ice Ice Baby--Vanilla Ice (loud and proud, baby!)


Did I miss a rockin' fun song that's on your workout list?  Am I missing a must-have song?  Do share! (But please DON'T let it be anything from Journey.  Not that I don't love them, I just can run to them!)

7 comments:

  1. I will have to check some of these out on iTunes! I need some new workout music too! "We Didn't Start the Fire" is one of my fave workout songs. I think because there are so many events mentioned to think about that it keeps my mind occupied.My other favorite song to run to is Survivor by Destiny's Child ---may not be your style though! ;)

    So...hows the P90X going? I want to do it...just to get my ass kicked! :) Seriously, I do! I wonder if the library has it. Probably not~

    ps...I still know all the words to IceIce Baby. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE you playlist! It is super similar to mine.. I'm a runner and I do know how hard it is to find good running music. It has to be just the right tempo.. not too fast (I'm not sprinting the ENTIRE time) and not too slow.

    I love running to Avril's "Girlfriend".. perfect pace for my starting pace!

    Kesha's "Blah Blah Blah" I can run double beat to that.. and that song cracks me up. (might not be your style)

    I also run double beat to "Let it Rock".. my MP3 player says that it's by Lil' Wayne but I don't think that's right lol..

    Sean Paul's "Temperature" is a great one

    I have so many that my mind is going blank! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breakup songs are the best for workouts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Shelly--I'm loving P90X. Don't get me wrong. I hurt from my neck to my ankles but I love it. The food program is a cinch to follow too (though it does take discipline--hence the oreo comment yesterday!). We found our set on Craigslist but there are scams so be careful!

    @Mandy--Thanks for the suggestions. I'm heading to ITunes in 5, 4, 3, ...

    @Sarah--Agreed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the spirit of marital harmony, might I point out that American HiFi is now Miley Cyrus's backing band. (It's true. Look it up.) Maybe you and Matt's musical tastes aren't so far apart after all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Khale--Great. Now you're practically encouraging him! Does it count that I really only like Hi-Fi's OLD stuff (circa 2003)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course I'm encouraging him. It sounds like he's about one The Veronicas song away from being my new best friend.

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)