Monday, May 24, 2010

Stork Report!

THIS JUST IN!

The airspace over my house is STILL a "No Fly" zone.  All trespassing storks will be dealt with harshly (read: gunned down).

Sorry to disappoint you but my big news has nothing to do with being on the nest.  I love my beautiful children and I have enough (at least right now).

Is the suspense been killing you?

Are you dying to know my dirty little secret?

Here it is .....

                  WAIT!

You didn't think I'd just blurt it out ... did you?

There's lots of talk about God's gifts and I believe all of it.  Early on in my life I knew my gift was teaching.  I taught before I was a mom.  As a mom, I teach about 18 hours a day (you know how that goes).  For my "me" time I've been continuing my education--doing what I can do to be a better teacher.  But something seemed to be missing.  I love my husband.  I love my children.  But I also love teaching.  I knew I didn't want a "regular" teaching job because I didn't want to be away from my children 40+ hours a week. 

So I prayed something would come my way.  Shortly after I started praying, a position teaching history at a local community college opened up.  The position hadn't been open since I moved here four years ago.  Was this a "sign"?  I applied.  For various reasons, this job didn't work out.

But while Job A wasn't working out, Job B came at me from no where!  They sought me out.  They contacted me.  They offered me the position (turns out word of mouth is pretty darn powerful).  I wrangled with the offer. It involves a commute. It involves being away from my kids several hours a week.  It means change and I'm not one of those people who loves change (though I'm also not one of those people who freaks out when Facebook moves the "log out" button!).  It means finding child care that meets my standards (which are pretty dang high).  It means adjustment, and being out of my comfort zone, and being more committed and being in a position   where   I    might       F   A   I     L.

I took it.

Starting this August I will be a part-time professor at our state's only university.  I'll be teaching methods to education students entering phase II of their teacher preparation experience.  

I'm thrilled.

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is SO EXCITING! I'm totally pumped for you. Woohoo! (If you were hear I'd be cheering really loudly & giving you a congratulatory hug)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shelly. Though I'm sorry the whole Ellen thing won't work out. If it ever does you are first on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!! Congratulations Reagan!! So happy for you.

    Heather B

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rachael--Thank you! And thanks for your guest blog. Look for it on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Heather--Thanks! I'm pretty excited about meeting a big life goal so young (and being able to do it AND still be at home most of the time with my kiddos!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap that's AWESOME!!! GO REAGAN!

    Girl you should be so proud.. for one, just saying yes and accepting a new phase of life. For two, that you are so totally incredible that you got a super cool job without even trying! Three cheers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Mandy--Thank you :) Now I'll have less time to watch Yo Gabba Gabba, though. Dang it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just when I thought I couldn't be any more proud to be your sister, you go out and TOTALLY redeem yourself. That is so awesome, Reagan. What lucky students to have you as a professor. (OOOOhhh, that has a nice ring to it...Professor Kaufman until you become Dr. Kaufman). Plus, if you stay there long enough, maybe...just maybe, you can get us some sort of group discount for all four of my kids attending UW. And don't worry, I will keep you up on the current happenings of Yo Gabba Gabba. On a serious note, I am thrilled for you. You are more than deserving of this position and you are going to totally rock. Good thing I am not the jealous type. ILY

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for you! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What?! No baby!? :)

    Not surprised. That was just too simple. Congratulations to you!!! God works in mysterious ways, doesn't he? This was definitely a blessing from God, I mean how often does something like that happen?!?!

    Good Luck to you beginning a new chapter in your life, I'm sure it will be a blast!

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)