Remember when clashing wasn't cool?
Now mixing and matching patterns is all the rage! Want to mix patterns and prints without looking like a clown? Follow these tips:
- Stay within the same color family.
- Mix a large, bold print with a smaller subdued print.
- Don't wear prints head to toe.
- Make sure to wear a fitted piece (if you wear everything baggy or flowy you'll look like a curtain).
- Pull it together with a neutral piece (spring jacket, belt, neutral pants or denim, etc.)
- Use patterns in your accessories (do this if big pattern pieces--like shirts--scare you).
- On a personal note, I don't dig mixing animal prints. Other than that, I'm kind of a fan of mixing stripes with polka dots (or flowers), flowers with plaid, etc.
Polka Dot and Plaid
Big and Bold--Soft and Subdued Florals
Floral and Animal Print
Here's one of my pattern mixers! Same pink/brown family--one bold pattern, one more subdued.
I love this top!
So what's your vote? Mixing prints and patterns: A trend to embrace or a trendy disgrace?