Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tuesday's Too Clean Tip--Dishwasher Trick

Don't ask me why but I have a love/hate relationship with my dishwasher.  I'm so grateful to have my little helper but I get increasingly cranky every time it needs to be unloaded.  Can't anyone create a dishwasher that washes and puts dishes away???

I stumbled across this trick a couple of years ago and it might not save a ton of time but it makes me happy!

So what do I do?  Each compartment of the silverware section only holds a certain piece of silverware.  One bin is for adult spoons, one for kid spoons, one for dinner knives, one for steak knives, one for forks, one for cooking spoons/spatulas and one for miscellaneous items.

Now when it comes time to unload, I grab a handful of silverware and they all go into the same drawer slot.  No more shifting and sorting.

My sister always laments that she'd love to do this but her family isn't on board.  Here's a little tip.  My family isn't totally on board either (Matt is but the kids don't quite get it).  So sometimes I'll get into the dishwasher and there is a kid spoon with a sharp knife.  No problem. I just re-arrange.  I'm convinced that it saves me time in the long run.

At least that's what the voices in my head keep telling me :)

5 comments:

  1. I do the same thing! I really think it helps...at least it helps my attitude at unloading time! I also try to put all the kids plates by one another, the adult plates by one another, etc! Then i can unload a stack of plates at once and carry them all to the cupboard together.

    I'm also training Elijah to help unload the dishwasher. Its a fun game right now...we'll see how long that lasts! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what we did when we worked on the cruise ship, it totally save time! I love this idea! I don't know why I never thought of doing it. The other thing that helps is putting the plates all in one row, then all you have to do is grab them, a lot of times all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do this too! Shamus laughs at me, because I have to organize the order the dishes are put in there, just to be washed. I agree that it might not save any time, but it makes me feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same thing. And, like Shelly, I try to put all the bowls in a line and all the plates in another.

    But I still hate unloading the dishwasher! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is the good idea. Like the rest of you gals, I put all the bowls with bowls, plates with plates, kid's stuff with kid's stuff....

    Like Sarah L., I still don't like to unload the dishwasher but it does seem to make it go faster!

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)