Saturday, April 17, 2010

Days of Play--Shaving Cream Letters

I worked at a day care to put myself through college and this was hands-down one of the favorite activities for little kids.  Actually, now that I think of it, I did this with my middle schoolers too and they loved it.

This tactile experience can be used to practice letter writing, spelling words, vocab words (which is why I used it in my middle school classroom), shape drawing, etc.

All you need is a cover up shirt, flat surface and a can of shaving cream.

When I do this I use my whole kitchen table.  If you aren't quite as adventurous you can use a cookie sheet.

  • Put on a cover up. (Really, don't skip this step).
  • Put a dollop of shaving cream on the table.
  • Allow your little on to spread it around.
  • Now make letters (or shapes, or words, etc).  A, B, C ... 
To be honest, cleaning this up takes a few minutes but really isn't that bad.  And shaving cream *really* cleans your table!

For younger kids:
Do this same activity with chocolate pudding.

2 comments:

  1. What a neat idea! I hate making messes, but I guess I could try it for my kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is messy but like I said, shaving cream cleans the table REALLY well so this game for the kids is actually child-labor steeped in fun :)

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)