Thursday, March 18, 2010

Things I Love--Neti Pot

As my dedicated readers know, I was recently sick.  And I'm nursing so my medication use is very limited. Basically what I rely on is Vitamin C, rest, and my Neti Pot.

If you aren't familiar with a Neti Pot let me explain.

A Neti Pot looks like a tea pot.  This is exactly the one I have (I got it for $10 at Walgreens).


When you have nasal issues--dryness, congestion, allergies, stuffiness ... you put a saline packet into the pot and fill it with warm water.  Then you put the spout up to one nostril, lean to the side and forward, and pour water through your sinuses.  Yes.  You pour water through your nose.



The water cleanses your sinuses and clear out mucus (which means you probably don't want to do this in front of anyone).  

I don't smile when I do this.

When you use the Neti Pot you breathe through your mouth so you aren't drowning.  I repeat, you are NOT drowning.

Honestly, there is a little pressure and a strange feeling (like if water has ever shot out your nose) but it doesn't hurt (unless you make your own saline solution with too much salt--which I don't recommend).

With this sickness I decided to put a drop of Johnson Baby Shampoo into the pot with the saline solution to help kill the icky biofilm in my nose.  Worked like a charm.

I know there are a lot of critics and people who would never try this but honestly, it does work.

I LOVE my Neti Pot.  

5 comments:

  1. Yep, I'll agree with you...it does work. Feels kinda weird, but it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Agree! This saves me with my allergies! I helps take all of that pressure in my sinuses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this, but I'm also a nursing momma who can't take any meds. I'll give this a try next time I'm sick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy--it's amazing. I don't do sick without it (well, my Neti, a box of Kleenx with lotion, and some EmergenC)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love very very much neti pot.
    ----
    Netipot

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)